Monday, June 13, 2016

Tortilla Press VS Rolling Pin

I don't know about you guys, but it's a hard day when we run out of tortillas here. Tortillas are our plate, get-to-mouth food conveyance, and sandwich bread. We eat a lot of tortillas!

We ran out of tortillas once.

It was a bad day.

Until I googled a flour tortilla recipe.

Did you know that it's really, really, really easy to make tortillas? The hardest part is using a beer glass to roll out your tortilla dough because you don't have a rolling pin!


So, here's my quick and easy tortilla recipe.

What you need:


  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 Tsp oil, plus a little extra for cooking
  • pinch of salt


Mix everything together in a bowl, kneading a few times once everything is well incorporated. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes before separating it into 8 equal-ish sections. Prepare a floured surface to roll out the tortillas. Try to roll them out as round as you can with whatever you have available to roll with (in my case, a beer glass). Heat a pan over medium heat and add a dash of oil for cooking. Once your pan is hot add a raw tortilla. Cook it until it's lightly browned on one side, then flip and repeat for the other side. This should take between 30 seconds and a minute, depending on your pan. The tortillas are served best warm, straight off the stove top.

This recipe makes some totally tasty tortillas! (Yup, I went there.) They're amazing stuffed with potato burrito stuff or rice and beans. They're really good with a little bit of butter and sugar. They're excellent (I hear) with a bit of Tapatio sprinkled in them and rolled up. I haven't tried that last though, so try it at your own risk.

This recipe makes tortillas so good that I now have a rolling pin and a tortilla press! They're something I'll be making a few times a week, I'm sure. I've just gotten the press, but it'll be put to good use tomorrow evening.

I'll have to try corn tortillas next.

No comments:

Post a Comment