Friday, June 3, 2016

Running Review 6/3/16

It's that time of the week again! It's my day off!

Saturday 5/28: I didn't wake up early to run so I had to run once it started cooling off & getting dark. It was still too hot for me to really be comfortable & enjoy myself to the utmost, but I did have a good run. I started the run with Molly, because she needed some excess energy release. I actually dropped her off at home after about 2.5 miles because it was too hot for her to run with me for too long. She, weird dog that she is, has decided that she won't drink water from a water bottle, a bowl, or my hand while we're out running. She will try to lick water off grass and sidewalks, but she refuses it when I offer it to her. I, on the other hand, suck down the water from my Camelbak at a good pace when I'm running longer than about 40 minutes in the heat. This was the first run I've done this year that I decided I would need the Camelbak. I didn't drink all of it, but I did sip quite often just to feel the cool water! I actually stopped at a gas station so I could add ice to my water supply. Anyways, on to the running stats. I ran 6.3 miles in 1 hour 11 minutes. Average pace of 11:20 min/mi, best pace of 8:14 min/mi. And I only came close to getting run over in a crosswalk once! ((yes, I have reflective stuff; yes, I was in the crosswalk; yes, I always look before crossing; yes, there were street lights there; the truck driver pulled up to his stop & decided not to stop & not to look for anything smaller than a car)).

Sunday 5/29: I didn't run & I don't feel like I did any real crosstraining... I was supposed to. I watered plants. Does that count? My parents actually came to visit & arrived Sunday evening. Ty & I made dinner for them - we picked a whole heck of a lot of kale from our garden & made a kale lasagna. We had a great evening with dinner, a little bit of beer, F1 racing, talking... It was wonderful!

Monday 5/30: I woke up somewhat early (7:30am) and got out for a run with Molly. It was already 65F or so. Not too hot for Molly to come with me for a few miles, but still warmer than ideal. I think it had heated up to 70F by the time I got home. We did 4.5 miles in 50 minutes. Average pace of 11:00 min/mi with a best pace of 7:59 min/mi. We did a new loop. One that I think I'll do again! There was a long slow downhill and a steeper uphill portion. That uphill part I may need to run a few times. I need to figure out how to run more hills; it's really too flat here for hill training!

We went out to lunch with my parents for my birthday. One of my favorite places - The Rock! It was so tasty. We had brown sugar mozz bread, and a couple small pizzas to share between the four of us. We definitely left full!

They also treated me to a new pair of running shoes. Yes, shoes. Real shoes made for running, shoes. I've been running in Vibrams since 2011 so this is a huge change for me! I got a pair of Altra Intuition 3.5 running shoes. I haven't worn real shoes in so long that I don't actually have socks to wear in them! I also got a couple pairs of socks so that I can use my shoes. I have to test them out on the dreadmill before I run any length of time outside, just in case they don't work for me. There's a 2 week return period where I get to test them out and make sure they're 100% perfect for me and my feet.



Tuesday 5/31: Bodyjam at the gym! And then 1 mile on the treadmill to test out my new shoes!! I just couldn't make myself do more than 1 mile. I hate treadmill running...

Wednesday 6/1: I dragged my butt out of bed at 5:45 am and it was already warm. I got out the door late because Molly wanted to play catch-me-if-you-can. I'm going to start leaving her behind if she does that... I can't play that game first thing in the morning. I laced up my new shoes after deciding that I would just avoid the puddles and dirty bits of the sidewalk. I still want to make sure that the shoes work for me but just can't bring myself to use the treadmill. First, the details. I ran 3.5 miles with Molly. Average pace was 12:17 min/mi, fastest pace was 8:36 min/mi.

The Altra shoes are definitely waywaywaywayway different. They feel heavy and awkward and clunky to run in. The laces bounce up and tickle my ankles. I had some issues with numb toes on my right foot, where I always have issues while wearing traditional shoes, but I'm not going to give up on them yet. I have a long run planned for Saturday morning. I'll really see how they and my feet get along. And hopefully bring my average pace back up once I get more time running in them and getting used to them!

Thursday 6/2: I skipped running... bad girl...

And that brings us up to today, my day off! That's another week down, with a long run in the schedule for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment