Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Romney Fleece Update

Yes, I know, I know... this is a little late in the posting. I said I'd get this posted a couple weeks ago! Unfortunately life got the best of me. I'm working on that, though - the household has only one sick person now!

Anyways, you aren't here to read my excuses. You want to know about the lovely Romney fleece that I have been processing from a skirted raw fleece! As you know, I finished combing this lovely fleece earlier this summer and began spinning. The first yarn I wanted to create from this fiber was a light fingering/heavy lace weight yarn to match the Inglenook Fibers Princess Bride support spindle spun yarn. I finished 3 bobbins of singles and decided that I don't need thousands upon thousands of yards of this yarn... so I started plying!




I don't have a lazy kate, so I make sure to have a medium sized USPS Priority box when I need to get any plying done. I just poke a couple straight knitting needles through the sides of the box & slip my bobbins onto the knitting needles. There isn't any tension held on the bobbins, so I'll have to upgrade my makeshift lazy kate eventually, but it works in a pinch!

I filled two bobbins with 2-ply. I still have 1 full bobbin and 2 pretty-close-to-empty bobbins.



The two skeins of yarn that I finished match the support spindle spun yarn almost perfectly! The natural grey color works really well with the Inglenook Fibers yarn. The Princess Bride yarn was spun using a long draw method so it's a little airier than the short forward draw of the Romney, which means the grist of the two yarns doesn't match, but the WPI match up pretty closely.



I ended up with approximately 1000 yards of the 2 ply Romney. It's 9.5 ounces of gloriously smooth and beautiful yarn that will pair marvelously with the Inglenook Fibers Princess Bride yarn!

No comments:

Post a Comment