Thursday, September 8, 2016

Zoom Loom: A Review

My parents gave me a gift card to Paradise Fibers for my birthday earlier this year. I tend to hoard gift cards until I know exactly what I want the most and what I think I can get the most use out of. Well, with all the fiber sampling I've been doing, I decided that a Schacht Zoom Loom would be a good addition to my tools. I want a way to store my fiber sample library with yarn information, but also have a little sample of knit or woven fabric to see how the yarn behaves in a piece of fabric.


The Zoom Loom is a pin loom that measures just over 4 x 4 inches. It seems very well made, but comes with a couple replacement pins just in case. It's a simple design, but the pin spacing really helps the user remember which pins to loop the yarn around. There are numbers and reminder hints on each corner of the loom too, which is really nice! I've made a few squares with different weight yarns and I can say with certainty that the loom can handle a bit of pulling and man handling on those pins! The last couple rows can be difficult to weave if you're using a heavier weight yarn.


To be 100% honest, this isn't something that I would have spent money on if I hadn't had a gift card. Even now, once I've gotten it and had a chance to use it, I probably wouldn't have gotten it if I hadn't received a gift card for my birthday. It's a very nice tool to have, it'll definitely get some use, and I'll enjoy having it in my tool repertoire, but I just don't think that it's something I would suffer for not having. Not like a niddy noddy or a ball winder.


No comments:

Post a Comment