Friday, May 27, 2016

Running Review 5/27/16

It's only been 5 days since I posted my episode 10 video podcast, but I'm thinking that putting a running week in review post in would be a lot of fun (and maybe even interesting to some of you)! Friday's are supposed to be my "off" days. The only day of the week that I don't have something planned. I will shuffle my schedule around a little bit based on how I'm feeling (you'll see what I mean in a minute) but I figure that Friday is a good day to post a review because it's a break day & will allow me to review my progress, where I need to work harder, etc.

Sunday 5/22: 4 miles with Molly, 1 mile with Bella. 4 miles with Molly was running, while the 1 mile with Bella was walking. Poor Bella can't run much anymore. She's getting old enough that I don't think her joints appreciate it anymore. She will start limping a little after a mile or so of running so she gets to walk with me instead. My 4 miles with Molly went really well; she got to run without the Halti for a mile or so before she saw a cat! My best pace was 7:03 min/mi, while my average was 10:45 min/mi.

Monday 5/23: 3 miles with Molly at 6am. We did the "gas station" loop - I run to a particular gas station, walk for a quarter of a mile to a different street, & then continue running through neighborhoods & by a couple schools, back to my house. We set off a few barking dogs in yards... It always makes me feel bad when that happens so early in the morning. My best pace was 8:46 min/mi, while my average was 10:50 min/mi.

Tuesday 5/24: Cross training day. As usual, for this day I went up to the gym after work & danced with the Bodyjam class at the Gold's Gym. I love the Bodyjam class! It's such a fun break from running & doesn't feel like work at all.

Wednesday 5/25 & Thursday 5/26: I didn't feel like running. I want to make sure I don't jump into running again too quickly after taking those couple weeks off to let my knee heal. My shin on my right leg was hurting on the 25th, while I just didn't feel like going out on the 26th.

Friday 5/27: 3.1 miles with Molly. I did the bypass trail loop. There's a lovely tree sided trail behind a wall right along the highway. The shade from the trees help keep it from feeling too hot, even when the sun is out & it's 65 degrees out. My perfect running temperature is about 55. Unfortunately that doesn't happen here too frequently... at least, it hasn't been happening this year! We skipped spring & went straight into summer. Anyways, Molly got to run without the nose thing for maybe a quarter of a mile? She was way too distracted & tried to pull me over to visit with a concrete lion statue... My best pace was 7:51 min/mi, while my average was 11:09 min/mi. It was definitely a slow day. I did more walking for the warm up and cool down than I typically do, which affected my overall pace.

I turn my watch on to track things when I get out the door & turn it off when I get back to my door. I know, it doesn't make everything very accurate, but it's good enough for me!

Now, I know this isn't really me running but I learned the basics of round penning a horse! Mary, Ty's Mom, has Dream boarded not too far from where we live. We go visit him & help take care of him. This weekend she'll be out of town so we will be doing some extra work around the barn & making sure that he gets some exercise in. I haven't spent much time with horses, aside from a couple horse camps while I was growing up. It's all new to me!


It was a lot of fun learning how to make him walk, trot, & canter around me with nothing more than my body language and a word or two. I also learned how to get him to change direction. He was a great sport at letting me practice & get things wrong too!

He got rewarded with plenty of licorice & time in the grass.


No comments:

Post a Comment